Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What’s the deal with the long title?

Hey everyone. I’m sure you are wondering what the deal is with the ridiculously long and wordy title of my blog. I’ll explain. In 1792 a man named William Carey published a short booklet called An Enquiry into the Obligations of Christians to use Means for the Conversion of the Heathens. This work was in response to the idea of his day that Christians were not responsible for the Great Commission, but that God would save the heathen without the involvement of people. When sharing his passion for missions, Carey was even told by a fellow minister “Young man, sit down: when God pleases to convert the heathen, He will do it without your aid or mine.” It was only shortly before this that Carey came to the conclusion “If it be the duty of all men to believe the Gospel … then it be the duty of those who are entrusted with the Gospel to endeavor to make it known among all nations.” In spite the disapproval of those around him, Carey continued to live by his personal motto “Expect great things from God. Attempt great things for God.” and he moved to India as a missionary. Given the attitude towards missions in his time, William Carey’s willingness to step out and listen to the voice of God earned him the well known title “The Father of Modern Missions.”

I wanted to share that story with you because I feel like in a way my blog is much like Carey’s Inquiry. This blog is dedicated to sharing with you how God does use actual people to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ all around the world. I’m not going to get into the theology of salvation, but it is obvious from scripture that God wants Christians to be intimately involved the whole world coming to know the Gospel. That’s what Jesus taught His disciples. That is the mission that I am committed to as well. I want to see people from every tribe and tongue become passionate followers of Jesus Christ. God has given me an amazing opportunity to travel to Northern India this summer and I am excited to get to update you about my time there. For security reasons, I can only disclose the region in which I’ll be working (Northern India). I hope to use this blog as a way to update you while I am on the field as well as before I leave. I want to thank you in advance for your prayers and support. Keep looking for my updates.

Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment